Tuesday, January 28, 2014

His life flows on in endless song ....

PETE SEEGER TELLS US
HOW TO MOVE FORWARD

A great hero of mine died yesterday at age 94.

Pete Seeger
(May 3, 1919 – January 27, 2014)
 
I’ve cited him numerous times in print and in my electronic ramblings and undoubtedly will continue to do so.

He was, and his legacy remains, a national treasure.

He felt and thought deeply, lived a caring and principled life, spoke his heart and considerable mind, and acted when he perceived injustice. 
  

  •  If you do not know much about Pete, I urge you to discover more. The process will make you better for it.
  • If you appreciated him at any level, you’ll follow his wisdom and join in a sing along of the songs he created and promoted, many of which you know although folks at large may not link them to Pete.
As for me: Two Pete tunes in particular will be going ‘round in my head today.
 
I think that they, as much as anything Pete wrote or popularized, embody the legacy he would have us pursue to honor and commemorate him.
 
The first one’s typical Pete who, recognizing its popular 19th Century Russian roots, turned the “Ode to Joy” melody from Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony back into a banjo tune, worked out some short lyrics, partnered with another activist/song writer Don West, and created –

RUSSIAN SONG/ODE TO JOY
Build the road of peace before us,
Build it wide and deep and long
Speed the slow, remind the eager,
Help the weak and guide the strong.

None shall push aside another
None shall let another fall
Work beside me, sisters and brothers
All for one and one for all.

Joy, Joy sisters and brothers
All for one and one for all.
 
You can listen and sing along at 1:20 here:

The other song I would have you know today Pete explained originated this way:

“In 1958 I sang at the funeral of John McManus, co-editor of the radical newsweekly, The Guardian, and regretted that I had no song worthy of the occasion. So this got written.” 

TO MY OLD BROWN EARTH
To my old brown earth
And to my old blue sky
I'll now give these last few molecules of "I." 

And you who sing,
Pete's Banjo
And you who stand nearby,
I do charge you not to cry.

Guard well our human chain,
Watch well you keep it strong,
As long as sun will shine.

And this our home,
Keep pure and sweet and green,
For now I'm yours
And you are also
Mine.

Listen and sing along here:
 
Surround hate
Force it to surrender
 

No comments:

Post a Comment