Monday, June 20, 2011

Thank Goodness It's Monday #309

HOW TO WALK AWAY WITH MORE ‘GOLD’
FROM EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN

When I first began my pursuit of “higher” – post-High School – education (in the 1960s’ for all who crave full disclosure), I set off for college to be a “Business Major.”

Not that I knew precisely what that was. But three previous generations of my family had been involved in “retailing” since my paternal great-grandfather came to the USA from Germany and established his shoemaker shop in Newark, NJ. On the maternal side, my England-born grandfather was “in shipping” and my grandmother was a milliner (hat maker) to “fine ladies.”

So it seemed as if I had a genetic predisposition in the “Business Major” direction.

Even as a small child during school vacations I travelled with my grandfather on his business rounds and clocked time following my father around his retailing management responsibilities.

“Isn’t he cute,” the sales ladies would twitter (old-style twitter). “Do you want to be just like your Grandpa/Daddy?”

Well, maybe.

So it was off to chase that “business” education.

Wrong! – sort of. After semesters of Accounting 100 & 101, Economics 100 and 101, and an Introduction to Marketing, I was perplexed. Double-declining balances, LIFO/FIFO, “macro and “micro” views of supply and demand, guns-and-butter arguments baffled me.

Where was the real world stuff I had seen? So I switched schools and tried a subset of business study, Merchandising.

Ah ... That was an improvement. More clear. Real world. Practical. And it was while on that path I was encouraged to write.

At first it was retail advertising copy (at Bamberger’s, for all you New Jersey-ites.Perhaps you remember my great creative-genius headline for automobile tires: “Save a Big 10%!” -- which my copy chief challenged by inquiring “And what’s a  ‘little’ 10%?”)

Enough reminiscing -- almost. I worked my way through a lot more formal education, often at night school. As I moved up the corporate ladder I was sponsored in a MBA for Executives program that was completely rock-and-roll fun when all the “students” worked together and shared insights. And sometimes it was a bit “what are they thinking?” when “Dr. Stuffy Prof” lectured guys (and women) who were sure they knew better.

And, in the workplace, I was very fortunate to encounter and be mentored by smart, caring people.

So, getting to the point, here’s my –

TGIM TAKEAWAY: In the aggregate, it was all good and valuable.  But of all the “things” I learned, I learned about learning and how to do it better. And I became a staunch advocate of life-long learning.

TGIM ACTION IDEA: Continuous self improvement is an imperative. You can’t stop chasing new input, new ideas.

And in the 21st Century, that’s easier than ever.

  • In a mouse click you can have pretty much the knowledge of the world at your disposal … at your convenience … in a variety of forms … even some people talking to you and demonstrating their concepts.
  • More formal continuing education is available at generally affordable cost through a variety of public and private channels.
  • You can “convene” with industry groups at annual best-practices gatherings.
  • You can meet routinely and share ideas with chambers and councils or fraternal organizations of likeable and likeminded community leaders.
  • In a half-day or day you can avail yourself of the knowhow of proven-in-action experts at nearby venues and network with perhaps hundreds of likeminded wisdom-seekers with similar interests and backgrounds.
There’s only one catch. You’ve got to know how to get the maximum benefit from those encounters.

So here are some quickie guidelines I’ve uncovered over my years in the process of life-long learning.  
TGIM IDEA IN ACTION: Keep them in mind and you can walk away with more “gold” every time. 

#1: Lower your sensitivity meter. Or better yet, turn it off. Remember you’re where you are to get information, not be offended by a remark or a word. 

#2: Self evaluate it. Don’t know it all.” When you hear a fact that will make you better, don’t tell yourself, “I know that.” Rather ask yourself, “How good am I at that?” Self evaluation is the only way to get better. 

#3: Search for idea germs. Stop/Look/Listen for what you DON’T know – not what you do. Try to walk away with at least one thing you can use tomorrow. 

#4: Listen with the intent to understand. Don’t cut off the thought too soon. Stick with it. Listen all the way out. Don’t dwell on how much smarter you are than the person you’re listening to. Just listen with the intent to learn and get even smarter and better.  

Best way to do this: Take notes. If you’re not able to so on the spot, write down something that will tickle your memory as soon as you’re able. 

#5: DO NOT do it like they do it. DO it like you can do it. Adapt the presenter’s concepts and words to your personality and style. 

#6: All new wisdom won’t work all the time. Pick out what will and focus on that. 

#7: Take the general information and adapt it. Think, “How will this work in my environment?” Try to fine tune the principle to fit your specific product or situation. 

#8: Remember your objective: Make yourself better. Find the “Aha!” moments and convert them to your world. Leave with something more than the information you came in with. 

Aha? Are you leaving this TGIM with more info than you came in with?  

Then I’ve done my job -- for now. 

Geoff Steck
Chief Catalyst
Alexander Publishing & Marketing
8 Depot Square
Englewood, NJ 07631
201-569-5373

P.S.  Want to put these gold-getting concepts to the test? Register HERE for the upcoming 1 Day Marketing MBA Conference & Expo taking place this Thursday, June 23 in Long Branch New Jersey. I’ll be there, taking plenty of notes. ACT TODAY! Space is limited and the event will be bursting with learning and networking opportunities. I look forward to seeing you there. 

P.P.S. Bonus “Aha!” In the quest to become more learned, focus on yourself when all is said and done. As my friend and master trainer and inspirerer of people Jeffrey Gitomer says, “Resign your position as general manager of the universe.” Don’t worry about everyone else. Concentrate on becoming the best you can be for yourself and the people you care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment